How to start a business blog that attracts new customers
Why should a business blog?
Every business needs to start blogging to:
- Drive traffic to its site
- Get potential leads
- Become an authority and expert in its niche
- Connect with people interested in the business’s products and services
- Gain long-term wins and benefits through an accessible medium (the internet)
- 81 percent of companies consider blogs “useful”, “important” or “critical”
- Companies that published 16+ posts per month got almost 3.5X more traffic than companies that published 0-4 monthly.
- 47 percent of buyers viewed 3-5 pieces of content before engaging with a sales rep.
- 58 percent of marketers voted for “original written content” as the most important type of content
Your steps to getting started
Setup a blog using either WordPress or Joomla or Drupal.
- WordPress is the best choice for beginners because it is easy to use, it works well for small to medium-sized websites, blogs, and smaller e-commerce stores. WP is also lightning fast in terms of setting up and running your blog fast. WordPress is also not only beginner-friendly, but also budget friendly, and free. The WordPress developer community has a support forum for people to learn about WordPress and its plugins for free.
- Joomla is a great platform for e-commerce or social networking websites, but it requires a basic understanding of technical skills.
- Drupal is the most difficult, but also the most powerful. It requires a familiar understanding of HTML, CSS, and PHP.
Create Your Content
Your blog’s tone will become your business’ tone and voice, choose the proper one for your blog posts, and create content with a specific target reader in mind. Remember to have a variety content types – Video, texts, texts & images, infographics, and podcasts.
Publish your content
Consider the following when publishing your content:
- Design and Usability First
- Layout and Formatting. A full block of text is difficult to read
- Use of headers, subheadings, bullets, and numbered lists.
- Publication frequency. A content calendar is important.
- Publishing during peak times
- Have your content fact-checked and proofread
- Cite image and text resources to avoid copyright issues
Marketing your blog
Simple and Easy-To-Start Strategies:
- Be unique and creative in your content
- Network with people and build relationships
- Link to power bloggers and industry influencers
- Comment on other blogs, but don’t spam them
- Comment and take part on your own blog
- Provide prompt and necessity based content
- Make sure that you brand a persona not a company
- Be ready to humanize your voice across different channels